Speeding Ticket in Broome County, NY

Speeding tickets are one of the most frequently issued traffic citations in Broome County, with over 12,000 speeding tickets issued annually. Though it’s not nearly one of the most populous counties, a number of highways cross through it including interstates 81 and 88, and routes 11 and 17. As a result, courts in Broome County are kept quite busy with speeding tickets and other infractions. Those tickets can lead to significant penalties such as points, fines and auto insurance increases. A highly skilled traffic ticket lawyer can help get those penalties reduced or eliminated.

If you have been issued a speeding ticket in Broome County—don’t pay it! Instead, call an experienced traffic ticket attorney to help you avoid the costs, points, and other consequences the come with a conviction.

New York State Speeding Ticket Costs

Many drivers underestimate the extreme costs and other penalties that come with a simple speeding ticket. Initial fines for speeding range from $150 to $600. But this is far from the final cost. Each ticket issued will also come with a mandatory NYS surcharge ($88 to $93). If the ticket puts the total number of points on your license at six or more, you will also be required to pay a DMV Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA). The DRA is a separate fine, which costs $100 per year for three years. Each point over six costs an additional $25 per year for three years. Adding insult to injury is the massive increase in insurance premiums, which typically last for 36 months or more after the ticket appears on the driving record.

Speeding Tickets Data from Broome County NY

According to data from the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles, of the 54,500 tickets issued in Broome County in 2016, more than 30 percent (12,105) were for speed-related offenses. The majority of speeding tickets were issued to younger drivers—34 percent were handed out to drivers aged 21 to 29. Men got hit the hardest, taking home 68 percent of all speeding tickets issued in the county.

speeding ticket in Broome County NY by gender (2016 data)

Speeding Tickets in Broome County, NY by Gender (2016)

speeding ticket by year Broome County NY


Number Speeding Tickets Giving in Broome County, NY

If you are being charged with speeding in Broome County, you have the option to fight the charge against you and either win a dismissal of the charges or negotiate a reduction in fines and points. Don’t assume this will be easy—64 percent of speeding tickets issued in Broome County end in a conviction for the driver.

Broome County Geography and How It Relates to Traffic Tickets

Located in the south-central part of New York just north of Pennsylvania, Broome County covers approximately 700 square miles and is home to 24 towns, villages and cities. The number of highways, combined with a high student population associated with Binghamton University, ensures local police are always vigilant for speeding and other traffic violations.

Hiring a Broome County Speeding Ticket Lawyer

We recommend that you hire an experienced traffic defense attorney can analyze your traffic violation matter and provide a solid defense that will keep your fines and exposure to points at a minimum. A lawyer can defend you in court and make sure to limit the damage a costly traffic ticket may cause you. The best part is that, in most cases, if you hire legal representation, you may not have to show up to court yourself.

Contact the Rosenblum Law Firm to assist you with your speeding ticket matter in Broome County. We can offer you a free consultation about your case and have our attorney’s fight on your behalf.

Our attorneys have represented clients in all the courts in Broome County for both traffic and criminal matters including Barker Town, Binghamton Town, Chenango Town, Colesville Town, Conklin Town, Deposit Village, Dickinson Town, Endicott Village, Fenton Town, Johnson City Village, Kirkwood Town, Lisle Town, Maine Town, Nanticoke Town, Sanford Town, Triangle Town, Union Town, Vestal Town, and Windsor Town.

24 thoughts on “Speeding Ticket in Broome County, NY”

  1. Hello,

    I was driving from Canada back home to NYC in heavy rain. I was behind a tractor trailer as we merged into a Work Zone and was not able to see due to the water being kicked up by the tractor trailer. Unable to see due to the truck, I attempted to pass the truck and accelerated to 60 MPH in a 45 MPH speed limit workzone.

    I don’t live in Broome county, and I’m also not quite sure what to do. What is the potential fine for this speeding ticket? Please also let me know what my options are for this particular ticket. Thank you.

    1. You are facing a 4 point ticket that has a fine of $393. This ticket will likely increase your insurance rates – and we therefore suggest pleading not guilty and contesting it in court.

  2. I am from new jersey and I was pulled over for going 75 in a 55. The idiot I am I admitted to the cop that I was going 75 cuz I thought the speed limit was 65 to try to get her sympathy. Instead she comes back with a ticket and a paper quoting me which says that it will be used against me in court? What are my options?

    1. Mordy – where were you pulled over exactly? NJ assesses 2 points for any moving violation committed in another state. Further – the procedural rules for handling a traffic ticket vary widely throughout New York.

  3. Hello, I received a ticket today for 83 on a 55 in Broome county. I’m from NJ and was relocating to rochester as I received a nursing job at a hospital there and was thus heading to rochester. I was unaware I was speeding, let alone, that fast as the officer stated. What are the fines? And how can I get help to fight this ticket? Thank you.

    1. The fine for this violation is $300, along with a $93 court fee. Furthermore, the Driver Responsibility Assessment fee will apply – as this is a 6 point ticket. This assessment fee totals $300. Furthermore, please note that 2 points will be assessed against your NJ license. Finally – this violation will likely have a significant impact on your insurance rates.

  4. I was pulled over for going 87 on a 65 zone in Broome county. I’m from New Jersey and thus was my first time driving in NY, I was on my way to visit my son in law in fort drum and since I never drove this road before I didn’t know I was speeding. I know i wasnt going that fast. This first offense, I never received a ticket before and my record is clean. What should I do? I have no idea how much the fee is and will this affect my license? Can you please help me.

    1. This 6 point ticket will cost $393, along with a $300 assessement fee if you are found / plead guilty. The violation will transfer 2 points to NJ, and will likely increase insurance rates significantly. I suggest you plead not guilty and contest this ticket.

  5. Hello there,

    I’m an Ontario resident (Canadian citizen) and got a ticket for going 82 in a 55 in Brooke county. I was driving a vehicle that I am unfamiliar with (a friends car- they have a V6 while my car is 4 cylinder), so I was not accostomed to the vehicle to be sincere. Anyways, I have a clean driving record (even the cop said so), and i want to know if i pay, will the result to demerit points? If so, how many? Is there any chance that this won’t go to my insurance? Is there any chance that I can pay the fine (how come it doesn’t ay on the ticket what the fine would be?) and not get demerit points?

    Do I have to come back to NY to take it to court? Or is there an opportunity where this can this be fought in Ontario?

    Please help! This is my first speeding ticket and I have no idea what to do or expect.

    Thank you in advance!
    Regards- Muriel

    1. This 6 point ticket will result in fines of $393, along with an assesment fee of $300. The points will transfer to ON, and will likely result in 4 demerit points. By hiring an attorney, you will be able to conete

  6. Hi sir

    During my last visit to state on 27 nov 2013. A traffic ticket was issued to me with the speed reading at 81/55 along Broome freeway heading NYC. And I plan spend my Christmas at state this year.

    Thus for my case should I pay it in order for me enter to state and what are the procedures n processing to pay the ticket and therefore is there any negligence or appeal.

    for my ticket. Seek for your advise n your revert is much appreciated. Best rgds Luis nyau from Malaysia tq

  7. I just receive a speeding ticket of 91 mph in a 65. What are the penalties I’m facing if this is my first offense in NY? I am a student at Howard University who was traveling to Cornell and got pulled over. I am absolutely positive I was not going that fast because I remember slowing down because I was listening to directions from my passengers. The officer then accused me of slowing down to 5 mph when I saw him coming out on the roadway, but I slowed down due to apprehension and anxiety. I was trying to allow him to merge on. Please advise me.

    1. You are facing a 6 point ticket which will have penalties totaling $693. Additionally, this will significantly impact your insurance rates. You should fight this ticket to avoid these consequences.

  8. Hello Sir,
    I just received a ticket for 77 in a 55 on 88. I have not received a ticket in 8 years and never in NY. I travel over 50,000 miles a year for work and if there is any way to even reduce this it would not effect my job. What do you think?

    1. David – you can fight this 6 point ticket in order to attempt to mitigate the fines ($393), DRA assessment ($300), and impact on your insurance rates. While difficult, it is possible to obtain a full dismissal on your ticket.

  9. I received a traffic ticket. The officer stated he clocked me at 75 mph in a 65 mph zone. However, I was not the leading vehicle. I was driving with the flow of traffic and there was a white SUV on my side who was driving at a slightly faster speed than I. I am sure of this because the vehicle was in process of passing me prior to and after I was pulled over. If I have to pay the ticket that is one fact but I do not want to receive any surcharge points. Receiving point result in additional fees to the court and motor vehicles.

    1. Tyreek,

      Unfortunately, under vehicle and traffic law, going with the flow of traffic and not being the lead vehicle make no difference as to whether you are speeding — the cop can pull over any vehicle that is speeding and you just happened to be the one. A 75 in a 65 ticket carries 3 points and $243 in fines and fees. If your record is clean you may be able to get a reduction.

  10. Hi,

    I am from Toronto, Canada and I got a speeding ticket yesterday (82 in a 55 zone) in Broome county. This is my first traffic violations in US or Canada. I do not want this to negatively affect my insurance. I want t know what can we do to help me with this.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *