Speeding With a Junior License or Restricted License in New York

Got a speeding ticket? We are here to help. Call us for a FREE consultation.
  • Fight your ticket to avoid fines, points and insurance increases
  • Save time by having an attorney appear in court on your behalf
  • Pay a flat rate fee to have your case handled by experienced lawyers

Congratulations! You just got your junior license and are ready to set out on the open road. Be careful though. As a young driver in the State of New York, you are punished extra-harshly for violating the rules of the road. Remember, driving is a privilege and the law has no problem taking it away from you if you commit serious traffic violations.

Speeding With a Junior License

If you are a junior license holder, the State of New York will suspend your license if you commit a serious traffic violation. Under New York law, a “serious traffic violation” is one that is worth 3 or more points.

Speeding even just 1 MPH over the speed limit is a 3 point offense! Consequently, if you are a junior license holder and are convicted of speeding in New York, your junior license will be taken away for 60 days.

Some other examples of other offenses that are considered “serious offenses” are: Cell phone, texting (electronic device usage), passing a school bus, and reckless driving.

Imagine: you just passed the road test after diligently practicing your parallel parking and your junior license is suspended for 2 months because you chose to go slightly faster than the posted speed limit.

You might think this is unfair. After all, what is 1mph over the speed limit really going to do? Unfortunately, speeding in New York kills more people than other traffic violation. As such, New York law comes down tough on speeding and considers it an inherently serious offense.

Similarly, as a junior license holder you will only be allowed to commit 2 minor offenses before your license will be suspended for 60 days. Any offense that is less than 3 points is considered by the State of New York to be a minor offense.

In other words, if you are convicted of backing up unsafely, a violation of VTL 1211-(a), you will not be suspended (since it is only a 2 point offense). However, if you commit the offense twice, or violate any other VTL after it, your license will be suspended.

Who Should You Contact?

If you received a NY traffic ticket and are a junior license or restricted license holder, contact Rosenblum Law today. You could be facing a suspension of your license, points, and a large fine. Our team of NY traffic ticket lawyers will do all they can to protect your legal rights, fight to keep you on the road, and will diligently work to get you the results you want. Call us today at 888-434-0406.

46 thoughts on “Speeding With a Junior License or Restricted License in New York”

  1. My name is Marcus. I’m 17 with a dj license. I got pulled over on the merge from I84 to the Taconic going 120 in a 65. Will my license get revoked cause of me going at that speed, or will it get suspended? I also want to know how much the fine would cost. I have to appear in court in East Fishkill.

    1. Hello Marcus and thank you for your inquiry. Please be advised that your offense of driving 55 miles over the limit carries a maximum 11 point penalty and a maximum fine of $600 with $93 court fees. Furthermore, for accumulating 6 or more points on your license, you will be charged an additional $300 for the NY imposed Driver’s Responsibility Assessment Fee. Please note that NY imposes an additional $75 for every point after 6, thus you will be assessed a total of $675 from the Driver’s Responsibility Assessment Fee alone. If you are convicted of this offense, your license will be suspended and depending on your previous driving history you may face license revocation. This offense will likely negatively affect your insurance rates for the foreseeable future. We suggest contesting this ticket with an attorney to attempt to avoid license suspension, over $1,200 in fines, and mitigate the detrimental effect this offense will likely have your premiums.

  2. Hello i am 17 with my dj class license, and I’ve received a ticket for following too close, and another two more on the same night for, going 50mph in a 30mph zone, and driving after nine. Will my license be suspended or revoked, what will happen?

    1. Hello Mallory and thank you for reaching out to us. Depending on where your infraction occurred, driving 20mph over the posted speed limit incurs a maximum 4 point penalty with a maximum fine of $300 and $93 court fee. Furthermore, your charge of “Following too Closely” carries a maximum 4 point penalty with a maximum fine of $243. These two offenses alone trigger the Driver’s Responsibility Assessment fee. This is a fee given to drivers who have accumulated 6 or more points on their license whereby they are charged an additional $300 for each point they receive after 6. Hence, your total 8 point offense between these 2 offenses, will incur a DRA Fee of $600 in addition to the $636 fine for an approximate total of $1,236. Please note, your last violation for driving after your permitted hours will also incur a fine that will increase the projected amount, in addition to that your insurance premiums will likely significantly increase due to your age and nature of the offenses. You will be suspended if you are convicted of either the speeding or tailgating offense, and might face revocation. We highly suggest contesting this ticket with an attorney to attempt to mitigate the likely insurance increase and avoid the DRA fee.

  3. My 17-year-old son has had his junior license for 13 months with no issues. He got a ticket last night for doing 75 in a 55 zone. When asked by the trooper, he did confirm he was going 75 and as such the ticket itself includes that (“supporting deposition – to support simplified traffic information”. I am fairly sure he will receive the 60-day suspension, but do you think it’s worth it to try for a reduction on the 4 points his license will receive for that speed? This occurred in the town of Dickinson Ctr, NY.

    1. Hello Mommasan and thank you for your inquiry. Being charged for driving 20 miles over the posted speed limit carries a maximum 4 point penalty with a maximum $300 fine and $93 court costs. As your son is a new driver, having 4 points on his license will likely cause a substantial increase to your insurance rates for the foreseeable future. We suggest contesting the ticket with an attorney to mitigate the impact on your insurance.

    1. Ashley, in order to provide you with further assistance, please provide us with the location of the incident, as well as the state in which you are licensed to drive.

  4. I’m 16 years old and I got pulled over for going 96 on a 65. Is there any chance of getting reduced consequences if I offer to take a defensive driving course?

    1. In order to provide you with any information regarding this ticket, please advise us of the name of the court that has jurisdiction over your case.

  5. My daughter got a speeding ticket today for 21 miles over the speed limit, she’s only 17. She says she was going around a curve and there was not a sign that the speed was reduced, she also says the cop was sitting right where the speed changed. Is there a way to fight this ticket? She doesn’t want her license suspended.

    1. Hello Amy, and thank you so much for your question. In order to provide additional assistance, please advise us of the location of the incident. I suggest giving us a call to discuss this situation further.

  6. I was going 84 in a 55 zone and I have my junior license, I was driving past 9 as well but I needed to go and get a form from my friend that was due the next day? Is there a way to avoid license suspension?

    1. Hi Pranav, junior licenses are suspended for 60 days if the driver is convicted of a serious traffic violation or two other traffic violations and revoked for 60 days if the driver is convicted of those offenses within the first 6 months of receiving their junior license. You were driving in excess of 29 miles over the posted speed limit which may result in a maximum 6 point penalty and maximum fine of $203 that may significantly impact your insurance. I suggest contacting an attorney for further assistance.

  7. Today I got a ticket for doing 75 in a 65 on the highway. I have a junior drivers license and I am 17. This is my first offense and I was on my way to work and running a little late. I really don’t want my license suspended. What should I do?

    1. Hello Alyssa,
      In order to provide further advise, please provide us with the name of the court that has jurisdiction over your case.

  8. Hey there I’m Andrew I was caught going 90 on a 55 and I have my junior license and I am 17 what would happen to my license

    1. Hello Andrew,
      You are facing fines of $693, Assessment fees of $450, insurance increases, and license suspension.

  9. Today I got a ticket for 70 in a 55mph zone. I have a Dj license and this is my first ticket. I did not realize I was going this speed because I was confused of where I was going/ driving alone . This occurred in Waterloo. I think I should go to court but not sure what I should exactly state with my plea. Please help

    1. Karley – because of your license status, I would suggest contacting us directly at 888-883-5529. We would be happy to provide you with guidance on handling this ticket.

  10. Due to my vision being limited with a garbage truck in front of me I made an illegal left turn in 170 in the Bronx. I was pulled over and at the time I had my junior driver license Im 17 and now envoked In getting my senior driver license, my summons is in February how can I avoid suspension??

    1. Cesar – I would contest this violation in order to avoid the consequences of this ticket. Please note – this is a trial only court and as such, there will be no opportunity to plea bargain your case.

  11. i got a speeding ticket in massachusetts when i was 17, i am moving to new york state soon. if i transfer my MA jr license to NY, and plea guilty to my ticket which i am awaiting a hearing for, will new york take action to suspend my license because of a speeding ticket from another state?

  12. Hello,
    I got a 20 miles overposted speed zone ticket on the belt parkway in NYC with my juniors drivers license. The officer told me to plead guilty because it would take up to a year to get a court date. From doing research my license will be suspended for 60 days, but I am scheduled to get my class D license in August. Should I plead guilty now and take the suspension or should I plead not guilty and by time the court date happens I should have my class D license ?

    1. License suspensions are effective from the violation date, rather than the conviction date. Thus, postponing your trial would not allow you to avoid a suspension should you be found guilty. Furthermore, the advice provided by the officer is incorrect. I suggest contacting us at 888-883-5529 to discuss how you can best address this ticket. —

  13. I was going 59 in a 45, the officer told me to ask the judge to reduce it because I have a DJ license and this is my first offense. I really don’t want my license suspended, is there any way out of this?

    1. Ben, please advise us of the location of this incident, as there are two court systems in NY, with differing procedures.

    1. Bryan, this ticket carries a total of 8 points. Along with a $600 fine, $93 court fee, and a $450 Driver’s Assessment Fee, 3 more points will result in license suspension. Additionally, this ticket will substantially increase insurance rates. I suggest you contact me at 888-434-0406

  14. I was caught going 82 for a slight second but the cop lowered it to a 77 mph violation in a 55 mph speed limit zone. I have a dj Junior license & i was coming home from work. I am also in the NY Army National Guard & need my car to go to my weekend job. Will i lose my license ? What are fines & points looking like?

    1. As a speeding violation will result in the suspension of a junior license, I strongly suggest you contest this ticket. You may reach us for a free consultation at 888-434-0406

  15. My daughter has a junior license and got a speeding ticket 49 in 30. She attended court last night and met with the ADA. The case was adjourned for a month, so that she could “research” what kind of plea deal she could agree to that would not result in her having her license suspended. any suggestions?

    1. Summer – any serious violation will lead to license suspension. A serious violation is generally speaking 3 points or more.

  16. My 17 year old step son got a ticket for going 63 in a 45mph zone. Well he lose his license? Fines? Dra? Can it be reduced. First tickets. Also got one got cracked windshield.

  17. I was in an accident where there was little to no damage at all but i got a summons for court what do you think the punishment would be? (I have a juniors now but i will have my full license before the court date)

  18. I got 2 tickets for an illegal u turn and driving with a juniors license without a 21 or over licensed driver present. What will most likely happen? please help this was very recent

    1. If convicted of this offense, your license would be suspended for 60 days. This also entails a fine of $693, along with a driver responsibility assessment charge of $450.

  19. Today i got a speeding ticket. According to the cop I was going 15mph over the speed limit. Is there any possible way to not get my Junior license suspended. I use my car to drive to school everyday, drive to work, and to my extracurriculars. I do realize 15 mph is tough to fight , but is there anything I can do to reduce the points so i have no suspension? maybe a class or something ?

    1. Tristan,

      The only way to not have your junior license suspended is to not be convicted of the speeding offense. Speeding offense are considered “serious traffic offenses”, and once you are convicted of the offense or plead guilty to it, NY will automatically suspend your driving privileges for 60 days. You can call our office at 888-434-0406 for a free consultation to discuss your options and how we can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *