Thousands of people commute from New York to New Jersey and New Jersey to New York daily. In addition, countless NJ residents vacation in NY and New Yorkers vacation in New Jersey.
With all of this traveling between states, many speeding tickets are issued by the respective state police officers to drivers from the neighboring state. Awareness of the fines and points given by each state may affect how you drive when crossing the line from NY to NJ (or vice versa).
A first-time conviction for speeding in New York costs between $45 and $600. Listed below is the amount of fine for the type of speeding violation: in a normal zone:
- 1 to 10 mph is $45 – $150
- 11 to 30 mph is $90 – $300
- 31+ mph is $180 – $600
If you are convicted of a second NY speeding ticket, the maximum fine may be increased by up to $150. For a third conviction, the fine may be raised by up to $375.
These fines do not take into account the New York State surcharge of $85 that is tacked onto NY traffic tickets. Also, there is a Driver Assessment Fee that must be paid when a motorist accumulates 6 or more points on their driver’s record. The fee is $300 for 6 points and $75 for every point above 6.
Although points are not fines per se, but they impact your driving privileges and automobile insurance premiums. Following is a list of the points for the speeding violation:
- Speeding 1 to 10 mph is 3 points
- Speeding 11 to 20 mph is 4 points
- Speeding 21 to 30 mph is 6 points
- Speeding 31 to 40 mph is 8 points
- Speeding 41+ mph is 11 points
New Jersey fines are typically less than New York.
- 1-9 mph is $77
- 10-14 mph in a zone less than 65 mph is $87
- 10-14 mph in a 65 mph zone is $152
- 15-19 mph in a zone less than 65 mph is $97
- 15-19 mph in a 65 mph zone is $172
- 20-24 mph above limit: $192
- 25-29 mph above limit: $212
- 30-34 mph above limit: $232
- 35-39 mph above limit: $252
- 40-44 mph above limit: $272
Similar to NY, points are not fines, but impact insurance costs. Following is a list of the points tacked onto your NJ driving record.
- Speeding 1-14 mph over limit is 2 points
- Speeding 15-29 mph over limit is 4 points4
- Speeding 30 mph or more over limit is 5 points
Whether you receive a NY speeding ticket or a NJ speeding ticket, the fines and points are costly. The first step towards combating your ticket is to contact an aggressive traffic attorney who has successfully represented drivers in both NY and NJ traffic courts.
The Rosenblum Law Firm, with offices in Albany, NY and Newark, NJ, is staffed by aggressive traffic lawyers who are available to assist you. call 888-434-0406 today.