Out-Of-State Traffic Ticket With NY License

I Have A New York License and I Got a Speeding Ticket in Another State, What Should I Do?

If you have a New York driver’s license and received a speeding ticket in another state, there are several important things for you to know. First and foremost, you cannot simply forget about the ticket and assume it will not affect you. It will. The following information was designed to help you better understand the ramifications of an out-of-state traffic ticket.

Driver’s License Compact

New York, as well as most states, signed the Driver’s License Compact. This is an agreement between all signed members that driver information will freely be accessible by all member states.

This means the state you received a speeding ticket in will almost certainly share that information with New York. Therefore, if you got a speeding ticket in New Jersey, Maryland, or even Florida, you better believe that the DMV will know about it.

Handling Out-of-State Speeding Tickets

According to the New York State DMV, “The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.” In other words, if you received a ticket in another state, points will not be placed on your New York license. However, that driver will still have to pay the relevant fines and state surcharges (if applicable), and his insurance rates can increase if his insurance company were to find out. Finally, the state in which he was convicted could suspend or revoke his right to drive in that state despite the fact that they have no jurisdiction over his NY license.

Additionally, unlike in New York, many states require you to personally appear in court if you receive a traffic ticket in their state. This might merely be an inconvenience if you received the ticket in a neighboring state. However, if you received it on a family trip to California, this could be unbelievably costly.

What if I Hire an Attorney?

If you hire an experienced traffic ticket lawyer to fight your ticket, you will usually not have to appear in court. Even in a state that requires your presence (e.g. New Jersey), your lawyer may be able file an Affidavit of Hardship on your behalf. This requests that the court to allow your attorney to proceed on your behalf without you being there due to the difficulty involved in traveling to court.  What constitutes a hardship is generally within the full discretion of the court. We are aware of courts in New Jersey, for instance, that won’t excuse a defendant from appearing due to distance unless he lives a minimum of 120 miles or a 2 hour drive from court.

Who Should You Contact?

If you received an out-of-state traffic ticket, contact Rosenblum Law today. You could be facing more than you think. Our team of NY traffic ticket lawyers will do all they can to protect your legal rights, fight to keep you on the road, and will diligently work to get you the results you want. Call us today at 888-434-0406.

241 thoughts on “Out-Of-State Traffic Ticket With NY License”

  1. I got speeding ticket in New Jersey i was going 44mph over speed limit my car was on 96 and speed limit was 55 i have new york license so whats the solution for it do i get point or suspension or i just go to court and get fine with not guilty

    1. Hello Sam and thank you for contacting us. The offense for driving 44 miles over a 55 MPH speed limit incurs a maximum 5 point penalty with a maximum fine of $260 in NJ. Since you have a NY Driver’s License, 0 points will transfer onto your license. However, the 5 point offense will still be reported to your insurance company. AS a result, your insurance rates will likely increase substantially for the next few years and we therefore suggest that you contest the ticket with an attorney to mitigate the impact on your insurance.

      1. hello! i got improper passing ticket at new jersey! i got new york city license! i have to fight ticket or just pay ticket and forget about points?

        1. Hello Firdavs and thank you for your inquiry. Please note, as there are different types of Improper Passing violations, this may either be a 4 or 5 point offense.  Should you decide to plead guilty, no points will transfer onto your NY license. However, your insurance company will see and charge you accordingly for the 4 or 5 point conviction. This will likely increase your insurance for the foreseeable future. We suggest contesting this matter with an attorney in order to mitigate the impact to your insurance. 

  2. I received a camera violation in Ohio for going 85 on a 65 by some Ohio police department. Since they obviously could not verify who the driver was, they sent the ticket to my car’s registered address in NYC. I believe this is merely a civil violation, and because they can’t confirm it was me or my friend…this can’t possibly follow me correct? I don’t plan on ever going back to Ohio either so being a wanted man over there is something I can live with…if that’s my only repercussion. Any insight?

    1. Hello Mo and thank you for your inquiry. We are only licensed to practice in New York and New Jersey, therefore we cannot provide you with legal advice since you received your ticket in Ohio. We recommend that you contact an attorney in Ohio to see if they can answer your questions.

  3. I got a ticket on a NY license while in MA, I subsequently moved to CA and switched my license to a CA one, I understand NY did not give me points for the MA violation, but they may have it on record, will that record transfer to CA and possibly affect my insurance rates here?

  4. I got a ticket for driving on the shoulder in New York (Westchester County). Will the points transfer to my PA license?

    1. Hello Jennifer, thank you for contacting us. While points do not transfer to PA, the violation will – resulting in a potential increase to your insurance rates.

  5. I recently was in FL and have an NYS DL. I received a speeding ticket in Brevard County. Paid the ticket and elected to go to defensive driving school. Now the Clerk of the Court is sending a reminder letter that I need to send my certificate of completion. Will this certificate be eligible in NYS to show my insurance company?

    1. Max, thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, that is a question we are unable to answer as it depends on what type of insurance you have. We suggest you give the course provider a call and see if it is eligible for them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *