Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets

This article is intended for individuals who live in another state besides New York and have received a speeding or traffic ticket in New York State.

Other out-of-state pages:

Out-of-State Drivers Who Receive New York Speeding Tickets

Getting a New York speeding ticket can be quite a hassle, especially when you are an out-of-state driver. Unfortunately, most out-of-state drivers never contest their NY speeding tickets. They think that it is too much of a hassle to drive back and argue. They usually justify their inaction by thinking that points will not transfer back to their home state. However, in many cases this is simply untrue.

NY Infractions Can Result in Points

Despite what most people think, many states will assess points against your driving record for an out-of-state traffic violation.

For example, drivers from Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia (just to name a few) will receive the full amount of points for out-of-state traffic violations as if they were committed right at home.

Similarly, New Jersey drivers will receive 2 points for every out-of-state traffic violation they receive (that is 2 per ticket). Likewise, California drivers will have 1 point assessed for minor violations and 2 points for major violations.

Additionally, many states will suspend your license if you are convicted of an out-of-state traffic offense that would have resulted in a suspension were it committed at home.

Have Questions? We can Help!
Call now for a FREE consult 1-888-883-5529

Why it Pays to Fight an Out-of-State Speeding Ticket

In most cases, if you hire an attorney to fight your out-of-state speeding ticket, you will not need to appear in court. In other words, if you receive a New York speeding ticket and are licensed to drive in another state, you will not have to drive back to New York if you hire an attorney to fight your ticket. Additionally, simply pleading guilty could be extremely dangerous. Most out-of-state drivers think they are only paying a fine, but they fail to realize that their insurance rates could go up dramatically.

Most states have entered into the Driver’s License Compact, so driving data is freely transferred from state to state. This means the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) will likely know about your out-of-state speeding ticket and your car insurance carrier will have access to this information too.

Furthermore, accruing 11 points or more in the State of New York—even as an out-of-state driver—will cause you to lose your ability to drive in New York (i.e. your right to drive in New York will be suspended). Remember, this accumulation of 11 points is based on the New York violations you commit under New York’s point system (not your state’s point system).

Imagine: While on a family vacation a police officer catches you flying down the Thruway at 41 miles over the posted speed limit (an 11 point offense). Getting convicted of this one offense will prevent you from driving in New York for quite a while.

Moreover, if you are convicted or plead guilty to a driving offense that would be 6 points in New York (e.g. driving 21-30 mph over the limit), you will be forced to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) to the State of New York. The DRA is $100 per year for 3 years and an additional $25 per year will be charged for each additional point over 6 you receive. This means 1 extra point will cost you $75 more (since the assessment lasts for 3 years).

At the end of the day, it pays to fight an out-of-state speeding ticket. After all, these hidden costs—which you may not even find out about until it is too late—far exceed the cost of hiring an experienced NY traffic ticket attorney to handle your case.

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a New York speeding ticket and you are an out-of-state driver, contact Adam H. Rosenblum of Rosenblum Law. Mr. Rosenblum has years of experience fighting traffic tickets, negotiating with prosecutors, and getting the results you are looking for. Call him today at 888-815-3649.

521 thoughts on “Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets”

  1. Hi! may be too late for help. My son is aged 23 and got his first speeding ticket in New York (Rensslear). We live in CT, and he was anxious about driving alone to pick up his brother, so he drove way too fast. He moves into the passing lane and someone got right on his tail. He sped up to move over to let the person pass. Person turned out to be a cop. Unfortunately, he didn’t know better and sent in a plea of guilty because in his mind, he was. Too late for help? $298 plus $300 DRA!

    1. Hello Holly and thank you for your inquiry. It may not be too late to help your son. We suggest contacting us to discuss your case further.

  2. I need to know why my husband (from Ohio) recieved a court date in the mail after paying a speeding ticket (issued in NY) If it is paid, why are they requesting an appearance?

  3. I was recently pulled over in NY on I-90 going 93 in a 65. I am Illinois licensed driver. I was going to plead guilty and mail the ticket back . I’m trying to get an idea of what type of fine I will get.

    1. Hello Saffo and thank you for your inquiry. You were charged for driving 28 miles over the speed limit, this carries a maximum 6 point penalty with a maximum fine of $300 and $93 court costs. In NY, accumulating 6 or more points imposes the Driver’s Responsibility Assessment Fee (DRA) of an additional $300. Although you may be an Illinois licensed driver, you will still be held responsible for the DRA or face license suspension. We suggest contesting this ticket with an attorney to mitigate the likely substantial increase to your insurance rates and avoid the DRA.

  4. I received a traffic ticket in Geneseo, NY and I have a Maine License (I go to college here). The officer stated that I was driving 47 mph in a 30 mph zone. However the speed limit had just dropped to 30 mph from 45 mph, and I was also on my way to make sure my girlfriend was okay as she had been discharged from the hospital the day before and was in the process of possibly going back due to complications. I wasn’t given a fine, only a court date. Is there anything I can do to prevent my insurance from skyrocketing or getting more points assessed, or is this a lost cause?

    1. Hello Quinn and thank you for your inquiry. Since you were charged for driving 47mph in a 30mph zone, this offense incurs a maximum 4 point penalty in addition to a maximum fine of $393 with likely increases to your insurance rates for the next few years. We suggest contesting the ticket with an attorney, which will offer you a greater opportunity to prevent your insurance rates from substantially raising.

  5. I was recently pulled over in NY on I-90 going 76 in a 65. I am a licensed driver in Ohio. I was going to plead guilty and mail the ticket back as it is an 11 hour drive from my home. I’m trying to get an idea of what type of fine this is, thinking hiring an attorney might be a better idea.

    1. Since you were ticketed at 76mph in a 65mph zone in NY, this offense incurs a maximum 4 point penalty in addition to a maximum fine of $393 with likely increases to your insurance rates for the next few years. As you reside in Ohio, this may prove difficult to resolve by yourself. Despite your distance, we suggest contesting the ticket in order to mitigate the impact on your insurance. Please consider contacting us to discuss your options.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *