Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets

Author: Adam H. Rosenblum Esq. | Last Updated:

This article is intended for individuals who live in another state besides New York and have received a speeding or traffic ticket in New York State.

Other out-of-state pages:

Out-of-State Drivers Who Receive New York Speeding Tickets

Getting a New York speeding ticket can be quite a hassle, especially when you are an out-of-state driver. Unfortunately, most out-of-state drivers never contest their NY speeding tickets. They think that it is too much of a hassle to drive back and argue. They usually justify their inaction by thinking that points will not transfer back to their home state. However, in many cases this is simply untrue.

NY Infractions Can Result in Points

Despite what most people think, many states will assess points against your driving record for an out-of-state traffic violation.

For example, drivers from Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia (just to name a few) will receive the full amount of points for out-of-state traffic violations as if they were committed right at home.

Similarly, New Jersey drivers will receive 2 points for every out-of-state traffic violation they receive (that is 2 per ticket). Likewise, California drivers will have 1 point assessed for minor violations and 2 points for major violations.

Additionally, many states will suspend your license if you are convicted of an out-of-state traffic offense that would have resulted in a suspension were it committed at home.

Have Questions? We can Help!
Call now for a FREE consult 1-888-883-5529

Why it Pays to Fight an Out-of-State Speeding Ticket

In most cases, if you hire an attorney to fight your out-of-state speeding ticket, you will not need to appear in court. In other words, if you receive a New York speeding ticket and are licensed to drive in another state, you will not have to drive back to New York if you hire an attorney to fight your ticket. Additionally, simply pleading guilty could be extremely dangerous. Most out-of-state drivers think they are only paying a fine, but they fail to realize that their insurance rates could go up dramatically.

Most states have entered into the Driver’s License Compact, so driving data is freely transferred from state to state. This means the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) will likely know about your out-of-state speeding ticket and your car insurance carrier will have access to this information too.

Furthermore, accruing 11 points or more in the State of New York—even as an out-of-state driver—will cause you to lose your ability to drive in New York (i.e. your right to drive in New York will be suspended). Remember, this accumulation of 11 points is based on the New York violations you commit under New York’s point system (not your state’s point system).

Imagine: While on a family vacation a police officer catches you flying down the Thruway at 41 miles over the posted speed limit (an 11 point offense). Getting convicted of this one offense will prevent you from driving in New York for quite a while.

Moreover, if you are convicted or plead guilty to a driving offense that would be 6 points in New York (e.g. driving 21-30 mph over the limit), you will be forced to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) to the State of New York. The DRA is $100 per year for 3 years and an additional $25 per year will be charged for each additional point over 6 you receive. This means 1 extra point will cost you $75 more (since the assessment lasts for 3 years).

At the end of the day, it pays to fight an out-of-state speeding ticket. After all, these hidden costs—which you may not even find out about until it is too late—far exceed the cost of hiring an experienced NY traffic ticket attorney to handle your case.

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a New York speeding ticket and you are an out-of-state driver, contact Adam H. Rosenblum of The Rosenblum Law Firm. Mr. Rosenblum has years of experience fighting traffic tickets, negotiating with prosecutors, and getting the results you are looking for. Call him today at 888-815-3649.

497 thoughts on “Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Hi ,
    I am from California and got a Speeding ticket in NY State I290.
    I was speeding doing 80 in a 55 mph zone. I have a clean record and this is my first ticket.
    I just got the notice from the Cop which basically asks to select either guilty or not guilty and mail it to them. Can you please let me know if i have to pay it by accepting guilty and what is the process.

    1. Hello Sreenath and thank you for contacting us. If you wish to pay the ticket, you would have to contact the court and plead guilty to the ticket, meaning you accept all of the fines and points associated with it. If you wish to fight the ticket, please give us a call and we can provide you with a free consultation to go over the fines and points associated with it to let you know what your best options are in this case.

  2. I am a Pennsylvania driver who was pulled over on 390 in New York. I was speeding doing 76 in a 65 mph zone. I have a clean record and no points on my license. There are many errors on my ticket including my first name as my last name and registration state listed as ny instead of pa. I would not be able to show up in court. Should I fight it?

    1. Hello Chelsea, thank you for contacting us. Even though some of the information on the ticket was wrong, this does not affect how admissible the ticket is in a court of law. That being said, we would suggest contesting this ticket as the implications onto your insurance rates can be substantial.

  3. My 17 year old grandson with a VT license was ticketed in Peru NY on Interstate 87 for going 86mph in a 65 mph zone . should he plead not guilty and fight the ticket? What are the possible points and or fines for his ticket? Would he have to appear in court if he hired a lawyer ?

    1. Tina, thank you for contacting us. Generally, if your grandson were to hire a lawyer, he most likely would not have to appear in court as the lawyer would stand and advocate for him in his place. Please note, this is a 6 point ticket that carries a fine of $393, and a driver responsibility assessment fee of $300.

  4. NYS driver with NYS driver’s license received a speeding ticket (14-218a) in Connecticut for going 45mph on 30mph. Would I get points in either of states?
    1) Would I get points in NYS because I heard you do not get points in CT if you don’t go 20mph above the speed limit? Would I get points in CT?
    2)If I do not get points in CT, will the points get transferred to NYS?
    3)If I do get points in CT, will they transfer to NYS? This is the first speeding ticket this person ever got. What is the best solution for this problem?
    4) If I paid the ticket, would this stay on my record in NYS?

    1. Anonymous, thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we are only licensed in New York and New Jersey, therefore, we are unable to provide legal advice on tickets received outside of those states. We recommend you contact a lawyer from Connecticut to answer your questions and to give you advice on how to further proceed with this ticket.

  5. I received a ticket on the NYS thruway in Ulster for going 81 in a 65 mph zone. I am a New Jersey driver with no previous violations. What is the penalty for a ticket like this and should I fight it?

    1. Lindsay, thank you for your inquiry. You are currently facing a 4 point speeding ticket that carries fines of approximately $393. NJ will assess 2 points for this ticket, and your insurance rates will likely be impacted.

  6. I was pulled over for going 60 in a 45, the speed limit went from 55 to 45 and I was getting on to I81 in Jefferson County, so I sped up, then got pulled over right before pulling onto I81. I live in Florida what are the odds of this getting reduced and how much would it cost to be represented?

    1. Amy, thank you for your inquiry. You are well within your rights to fight this ticket. If you were to hire us, we would represent you in court so you would not have to come all the way up from Florida to contest the ticket. I recommend you give us a call so we provide you with a free consultation in which we further explore your options in regards to this case.

  7. hi
    i have received a citation for speeding on 06/15/2019 for travelling 95mph in a 65mph zone at Steuben County(Lindley, Town of 5169), verified by Radar. Cop told me to send the citation to court by choosing either guilty or not guilty and a statement of explanation.
    i was told by the cop that he is not giving me any points or he is not arresting me for Reckless driving. I am speeding at that time since, i couldn’t find a gas station or resting area for the last 30 miles and couldn’t search in my gps since there is no Network connection at that area. i am from Texas and i though i was doing 85mph but didnt realize i was sitting at 95mph. Could you please advise what are the next steps for me to take (I have a clean driving record).

    1. Lokesh, while you are fortunate to not have received a ticket for reckless driving, the offense charged is a high speed 6 point ticket, which will result in substantial fines, penalties, and insurance implications if convicted. We therefore recommend contesting this violation.

  8. I got a ticket in Steuben County NY for 94 miles/hr in a 65 miles/hr area. My license is from MD
    What do you recommend?
    An early response will be appreciated because i have a 48 hour limit to plead not guilty. Deadline ends Monday 9:00AM

    1. Edi, thank you for your inquiry. We recommend contesting this 6 point speeding ticket to avoid / mitigate the consequences. Please note, your response is due by the ‘reply by’ date, a date listed on the ticket.

  9. I received a ticket on Highway 1-Interstate/I90 for traveling 85 in a 65 MPH zone, verified by radar. The officer said that I was speeding at 85 MPH catching up with him. But I was following the traffic, with cars infront of me and behind me. I don’t remeber for driving at this speed. When I saw the police car on the front right lane (I was at the left lane), I slightly stepped on the break out of reflex, the speed immediately dropped to 75 MPH. I never receive a ticket before and I normally won’t drive pass 80 MPH. I’m a CA license holder.

    Should I fight this ticket? What is the likelyhood for a dismissal or reduction in fine? What would be the fine and points be if I plea guilty? Is there any way to leave no record on my license (like going to a traffic school) if I plead guilty and paid the fines?

    1. Anni – unfortunately, driving ‘with the flow of traffic’ is not an argument that would work at court. You still may, however, be able to obtain a reduction / dismissal of this ticket.

  10. I received a ticket in Upstate NY for speeding 88 over 65. I’m an Illinois resident and license holder.
    Please advise how can I contest or pay this ticket without going into my records.
    Ticket dated 05/10/2019

    1. In order to provide you with further information, please advise us of the name of the court as procedures vary between jurisdictions.

  11. Hi, I am charged overspeeding at 90 on a 55 limit State Route 12 County of ONEIDA.
    I am not sure at what speed I was driving but there are other cars as well. However I got pulledover. I have Connecticut license.
    How much fine I will be charged along with other taxes & fees? Any way I can reduce the penalty & points?
    Should I plead guilty or not guilty?

    1. You are currently facing an 8 point ticket that carries substantial fines ($693) assessment fees ($450) and insurance implications. I strongly suggest pleading not guilty for this ticket to mitigate these consequences.

  12. I received a ticket for a plate cover in NY where I do not live and didn’t know it was illegal and the car is not mine. Is it worth fighting?

    1. Hello Sara and thank you so much for your question. Tickets for plate coverings are generally 0 point violations.

  13. I got a ticket from the New York State Police on Interstate 88 in Afton, NY. The ticket says I was going 81 in a 65 zone shown on radar. I was driving in the flow of traffic and didn’t know if the speed limit was 65 or 75. The closest speed limit sign after I was pulled over was 12 miles down the highway. I’m from Rhode Island. The officer put the wrong number address on my ticket. I’m not sure what to do as I’m not readily available to travel back their for court.

    1. Hello Ryan, and thank you for your question. Unfortunately, clerical errors will not result in a dismissal of the ticket, however, you would still be able to challenge this in court. The best course of action to take would be to reach out to legal representation to aid you in arguing your case.

  14. I received a ticket on the NY State Throughway on 3/19/19 for traveling 92 in a 65mph zone, verified by radar . Visual estimate by officer estimated at 89mph. I was also ticketed for Improper Signaling (“moving freely between both lanes with no signal”). I believe I was using my turn signal. The officer misquoted me saying that “I must not have been paying attention”. It was daylight, clear skies, clear roadway. I was not going markedly faster than other traffic and slowed down when I realized I had gone over 90 inadvertently while traveling down a hill. I have not received a ticket in many, many years.

    What is the likelihood of challenging this and winning and/or receiving a reduced fine? I am a MA resident / license holder.

    Thank you!

    1. Hello Ashley,
      As you are likely under the jurisdiction of the traffic violations bureau, there is no method by which you can obtain a plea offer. Therefore, your only option here is to contest this matter at trial. The rates of success vary widely in trial, based on whether you are hiring counsel or representing yourself.

  15. I recieved a ticket going 81 in a 50 that’s completely untrue but how can I fight this. I’m a CT license holder

    1. Hello Bremda and thank you for your question. In order to provide you a concrete answer, please provide us with the location of the ticket, as the procedures vary by jurisdiction.

    1. Hello Jerry and thank you for your question. I would suggest fighting the ticket. As you are from Canada, all information will be transferred over to your Canadian Driver’s license and record, resulting in the assessment of 3 demerit points. I recommend calling our office at 888-883-5529 for a free consultation to further discuss your case.

  16. Hi,

    I got a ticket on I -287 W for allegedly driving 74 mph on a 55 mph, so 19+ mph difference. The listed municipal court is in Harrison Township, NY. I am an RI resident and have an RI driver’s license, and the officer quoted me incorrectly as “I was travelling a little too fast”. I have never had a speeding ticket. Should I fight the ticket? What fees can I expect? I live over two hours away from this court.

    1. Hello and thank you for your question. I would suggest contesting the ticket in order to mitigate / avoid the impacts to both your driving record and insurance rates.

  17. I was ticketed on the NYS Thruway in western NYS (don’t know the town… we had just crossed into NYS from PA, heading east) for going 74mph in a 65mph zone. I had been following a tractor trailer truck that was weaving between the travel and breakdown lanes, and also had snow flying off its roof. I felt it was safer to pass the truck and be in front of it than to continue to follow it. I saw the state trooper as I was pulling back into the travel lane in front of the truck. I live in Maine, so it’s a 14 hour drive one-way to contest this ticket, or a round trip plane ticket to Buffalo, rental car, overnight hotel. I am going to explain what happened (there is a spot on the “guilty” section of the ticket to explain the circumstances) but don’t know if I should plead guilty or not guilty. I am licensed in Maine, 62 years old, got a ticket in April 2016 because as I was backing out of a parking spot (slowly, carefully) a car drove behind me and I bumped it. My only other ticket ever (licensed since 1973) was a speeding ticket from 2005. Should I plead guilty and explain, hoping they dismiss the violation, or should I plead not guilty (no room for explanation)? Clearly it’s not going to be cost-effective for me to go to NY to fight this… and I’m not sure if it’s worth the attorney fees, either. I know you want the business, but could you please advise me on what you anticipate will happen, fees, etc? Thank you.

    1. Hello Lee, and thank you for your question. We would like to clear up a few factual issues with your traffic stop. Please contact us at 888-883-5529 for a free consult.

  18. I received a speeding ticket for going 68 in a 45 zone on I 81 Binghamton NY , I’m from Pennsylvania should I fight this ticket it’s my first ticket in over 35 years

    1. Gary – I would suggest contesting this ticket. You are currently faced with a 6 point speeding ticket with a penalty of $300, fines of $93, and assessment fees of $300. Although PA may not impose points for this offense, your insurance rates may be substantially impacted by this speeding ticket.

  19. I received a ticket this weekend in Chautauqua County, NY for failing to give due care to a stopped police car. It came up suddenly and I checked the left lane and there was a car approaching so I slowed down and moved to the left in my lane (right lane). The officer said I had room to move over. I live in NC. Can you tell me what the fine would be? Do you think I have a chance to contest it?

    1. Susan – the fine for this violation is approximately $243.00. While there is a possibility of obtaining a reduction / dismissal of the ticket against you, many jurisdictions will not allow for any plea bargaining of a ticket such as this.

  20. I was just pulled over on I-84 in NY, about 6 miles outside of CT, I am a MA licensed driver. Officer said I was doing 83 in a 65. I don’t think I was above 80 but I cannot prove that I wasn’t either. What am I looking at for fines, points, etc.?

    1. Adam – you are looking at a 4 point speeding ticket, with fines of $393, along with a likely increase to your insurance rates.

  21. I got pulled over on a i-84 in New York doing 73 in a 55 work zone. it was the day before Thanksgiving and there were no workers around. I was talking to my daughter and didn’t notice the signs for a work zone. I was also going with the flow of traffic so I wasn’t going to go faster than anybody else. I live in Connecticut not New York.

    What do you suspect my fine will be, the range on the internet and New York’s website is very broad. also what would it cost to have someone represent me to try to get this reduced or eliminated.

    1. Michael – the maximum fine for a 4 point work zone violation in NY is $600 + $93 court costs. If you are interested in discussing our pricing, you may reach us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  22. My wife got a speeding ticket in NY (we are from CT) for speeding in a construction / work zone. The speed was 69mph in a 55mph zone. We had the kids in the car and were headed to the next exit for an urgent bathroom stop. We didn’t see that the work zone had literally just started and the officer was positioned right near the start of the zone. We’d prefer not to travel to upstate NY to contest. What is our best option?

    1. Hiring an attorney would allow you to contest this 4 point ticket ($693 fines) without personally appearing in court. Please note – violations transfer between the states for insurance purposes, even if the points may not.

  23. Hi, I received a speeding ticket on I-87 (North Hudson Town Court) going 92 in 65mph. He put on the ticket I was Radar for speed verified. V1 of 92mph is printed on the ticket as well. I am a NJ driver. I am a clean record with no tickets in any states.

    What are my options? How much can this cost me in terms of fines or other charges. My end goal is to get all my points removed as I cannot have them on my record which will raise my insurance.

    Thank You!

    1. Sam – if you plead guilty to this ticket, you will be assessed 6 points, fine of $393, assessment fees of $300, and a significant impact on your insurance rates.

  24. Hi, I was ticketed by a Yonkers PD officer on Sprain Brook Pkwy for going 69 mph in a 55 zone. I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Officer also verbally warned me about driving in the left-hand passing lane, although that is not shown on the ticket. I see many others here going in 20 and 30 mph over the limit, so should I contest a ticket for going just 9 over the limit?

    1. TG – The average rate of speed of over vehicles is not relevant here. The only issue is whether you were traveling over the speed limit. Please note – merely driving 1 mph over the limit is sufficient to receive a 3 point speeding ticket.

  25. Hello. I received a speeding ticket yesterday on I-95 in Pelham. The state officer was pacing me at 80mph in a 55 zone. I was very courteous and cooperative with the officer who indicated that it would help me (is this true??). I live and am licensed in NJ. What is the potential fine and will points transfer to NJ? Do I need to show up if I hire you? Can it be knocked down as I have no other NY violations (or NJ for that matter)? What is your recommendation?

    1. Andre – you are facing a 6 point speeding ticket that carries fines of $393, along with a $300 assessment fee. NJ will assess 2 points to your record for this violation – which will likely have an impact on your insurance rates. As officers have discretion when issuing tickets, acting in a professional and respectful manner is always recommended.

  26. I received a no “U-turn Business” ticket this morning in NYC and I am really annoyed. Who knew a 3-point turn in the wee hours in the morning would result in $138 plus 2 points. Officer said no U turn is allowed within that area. I said it was a 3 point turn and he said same thing not allowed. Ok please someone please help me.

    1. Akash – In order to contest a ticket in this jurisdiction, you must bring this matter to trial, whereby you will be able to cross examine the police officer that had issued you the ticket. Please note, there is no plea bargaining available in this court system.

  27. While traveling for Biz a speeding ticket was given to my hubby. This was 2-3 yrs ago.Since it was for work that he was racing the company said they would pay it. He was a texas resident and was only driving through NYS. Imagine our shock when getting stopped in Kansas (new home and new job) for headlight out. His TX license revoked because his old company didnt pay that ticket. Now we have no idea how to get a copy since he doesnt know where he got it in New York. What do we do, the DMV site said we need a ticket number but we dont have that info. Help

    1. Lana – I would contact the NY DMV who should be able to provide the name of the court that had issued the suspension against his license.

  28. Received a speeding ticket in Middletown ny, state police say I was doing 90 in 65 zone, and also issued a ticket for my window tints which are legal in my state of Ct. I pled guilty to avoid having to go back to my for court, but now I want to contest it. I was not traveling at that speed, I have a clean driving record and I’m on my mom’s insurance and we can’t afford a rate increase, I work part time and am enrolled in a masters degree program …what are my options, please advise!

    1. Morgan – in order to contest these tickets, a motion must be filed to vacate the initial guilty plea. Should this motion be granted, you would then have an opportunity to contest the underlying tickets. If you would like further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 888-883-5529 for a free consultation.

  29. I am a licensed California driver and I received a ticket for doing 31 in a school zone marked at 20 in Albion, NY. I was driving a rental with Vermont plates and there were no children present. Under California law I would not have been required to slow down, and I had no idea that NY has a 7:00 am to 7:00 pm enforcement. What penalities am I looking at?

    1. For this 4 point school zone ticket, you are facing a fine of $600, a court fee of $93, and a likely increase in your insurance rates. I would suggest pleading not-guilty and contesting this ticket.

  30. I got a traffic ticket on my way to niagra falls on I-86WB with a description of “speed in zone’’ for driving 80 when the speed zone was 65. I hold a florida state driver’s license and this is my first ever ticket. The ticket bill does not mention anything about fone or points. Should i plead guilty or not? I do not want my driver’s history /insurance to be affected.

    1. You are facing a 4 point speeding ticket in NY which will unfortunately transfer to FL. While we can not advise you on FL law, this violation will likely result in an increase in your insurance. We therefore recommend contesting this ticket.

  31. I received a speeding ticket for going 72 in a 55 on I-90 in the town of Cheektowaga NY. I live in Maine and it would be costly to travel to the courthouse. I don’t have any points in NY or Maine and am not overly concerned about point accumulation. I am concerned about my insurance going up. Should I contest the ticket? I understand I don’t have to go to court but wondering how much it would cost in legal fees, and if that’s less than the cost of the ticket and potential increase in insurance costs.

    1. Kasey – Your insurance will likely increase due to this violation. Hiring an attorney would allow you to contest this ticket without a personal appearance. You may contact us to discuss our fee structure in further detail.

  32. Hi there,
    On family vacation from Maryland to Toronto in I99 passed a truck with flying debris, safely return to right lane with 62 mph , noticed police car behind me, after a few hundred yards his lights went on. He was on the other side of hwy and issued a ticket with 87 in 65 zone. Mail or appear in Erwin NY court in 2 weeks.
    First speeding ticket – what should I do? Never been in the court!

    1. Max – I suggest contesting this 6 point speeding ticket as there are substantial fines of $393, along with a $300 assessment fee. Additionally, this speeding ticket will likely lead to a significant increase in your insurance rates.

  33. I’m licensed in CT and was driving on the Thruway in upstate NY (Canajoharie) traveling to Buffalo. I was clocked by radar doing 81 in a 65. Is it worth fighting? I’m not sure if points/insurance increases will transfer to CT?

    1. We are not licensed in CT and thus cannot provide legal advice on that state’s laws. However, this violation will transfer for insurance purposes, and as such, you should contest it.

  34. I have a NY license and receivesd a speeding ticket in Tioga County for going 84 mph in a 65 mph zone. I live in NJ now, so they slapped on a second ticket for not having changed m license to a NJ license. The location is about a 4 hour drive from my home. I am loathe to plead guilty, as I hadn’t realized I was speeding (and in fact, was trying to be careful not to), and it couldn’t have been for more than a minute or so, since I’d just exited a rest stop. Is it worth pleading not guilty, when I may have to drive all the way back up (8 hours round trip)>

    1. Ian – hiring an attorney will allow you to contest this violation without physically appearing in court. You may contact us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  35. Got a ticket from my way to Niagara falls on I- 86. I was going 84 on 65 zone. I was approach by the officer from behind, which I didn’t recognize it as a police vehicle, and thought he wanted to pass me while I was on the inner lane. I think I kept my speed around 75-80 most of the time, and I may had speed up before he flashed the lights and pulled me over. Since it’s below 19, should I just plead guilty and paid the fine or try to fight it? How much will the fine be and how will this affect my record? I hold a PA license.

    1. Even though this is a speeding ticket for 19 mph over the limit, it still carries 4 points, has fines of $393, and will likely increase your insurance rates. It is advisable to contest this ticket and protect your record.

  36. My Wife got a 1144a while returning from Niagra to NJ. We are NJ residents with NJ plates and license. The ticekt was issued in TIOGA county NY. We were behind a moving truck and moved to right curb, saw a police car, slowed down but didn’t move to left lane as was blocked by the truck. We could not have moved and knowing NJ law didnt stopped. Please suggest

    1. I suggest contesting this violation as it will result in 2 points against your NJ record, along with a likely increase to your insurance rates.

  37. I was going 85 in a 65 zone in upstate New York. I am a 21 year-old student studying in Philadelphia, but I have a CA license and my car is registered in CA. I have had my license since I was 17 and I have a clean record prior to this ticket. I’ve only been driving on the east coast for about a month now, and the only reason I was speeding was because I realized I missed a freeway change when I wrote down my directions, and I was trying to figure out where I was. I was just about to stop and pull over to remap when I saw the police flashing lights at me. I am a full time student and I work part-time 25-30 hours a week, but the listed court is a 5.5 hour drive away from me. What kind of fines/penalties will I be facing if I plead guilty?

    1. You are facing a 4 point speeding ticket that carries fines of $300 along with court fees of $93. Hiring an attorney will allow you to contest this violation without physically appearing at court.

  38. I was going 72 in 55, I have MA license. I want to plead not guilty. I cannot make it to the court on the date on the ticket. Is there a way to schedule a different court date?

    Also, this is my first speeding ticket. what should I expect to do that day in the court. Do I have to make a statement and defend myself or do I have to simply be present that day?


    1. Hiring an attorney will allow you to contest this ticket without personally appearing. If you do choose to represent yourself and brought this matter to trial, you would be required to cross examine the officer and argue your case.

  39. I got a speeding ticket in NY. I was going 86 in a 65 speed zone. I hold Colorado license. How will it affect my colorado driving record and how to proceed with this ticket.

    1. While we are not licensed in CO, violations will generally transfer between the states for insurance purposes at the very least. Our recommendation is to contest this violation to protect your driving record.

  40. I received a ticket for allegedly going 87 in a 65 zone in Rockland, NY, in Sullivan County, on Route 17. I am from Illinois and am curious as to whether I should contest this or plead guilty. What will the consequences to my Illinois license be?

    1. I am not licensed in IL – and am therefore unable to advise on the laws of that state. In NY, however, you will receive 6 points, and be fined approximately $393 along with $300 assessment fees.

  41. I was pulled over today in my company vehicle doing 62 in a 45. I have a cdl and was wondering how to go about this so that I get minimal points on my license.

    1. In order to provide further assistance, please provide us with the name of the court that will be handling this ticket.

    1. This is an 8 point violation in NY. If this is your only NY offense, then your license will not be suspended. As we are not licensed in CT, we are unable to provide specific information as to the implications to your CT driving privileges.

  42. My husband received a ticket going 83 in a 55 on 95 in Westchester. We are from RI. What are we looking at for fines and court costs should we just plead guilty as he it is too much to drive back for court.

    1. This 6 point ticket carries a fine of $393, along with an assessment fee of $300. Hiring an attorney will allow you to contest this violation without personally appearing in court. You may contact us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  43. I was issued a ticket for disobeying a traffic control device (radar). There was no speed of my vehicle on the ticket or mention of posted speed, on the ticket. Officer said I was going about 70 in a 55 zone. He said the ticket was the same as a warning. So I signed it guilty and sent it in, thinking no fine and no points. Then I received a notice to pay a fine of $100 and surcharge of $93. There was no mention of points on the bill, just the fine. Does that mean I won’t be assessed any points? Is this proper? Should I pay? I live in PA about 8 hours away.

    1. Robert – it appears you were given a ‘roadside reduction,’ whereby the officer pulled you over for speeding and gave you the lesser offense of ‘disobey traffic control device.’ This is a 2 point ticket in NY, contrary to what the officer had advised you.

  44. Hi , I got a ticket when i was driving in I 390 for driving 81 in 65 speed zone, Not sure if i was really that fast. it was in wayland, Steuben county, I live in Georgia, what do you think will be my fine.

    do i have a chance to fight it out and reduce the fine?

    Thanks in advance
    v k

    1. You were ticketed with a 4 point speeding ticket, that will entail fines of $393, along with a significant increase in your insurance rates. I suggest contesting this ticket as this jurisdiction does allow for plea bargaining which can result in a decrease in the fines and impacts to your insurance. Hiring an attorney will enable you to fight this ticket without personally appearing at court.

  45. I live in Stamford, CT and got a ticket in Blooming Grove, Orange County, NY on State Route 17W/B. Recorded speed was 84 in a 65 zone. This was a rental car and a sedan so I didn’t realize that I was over the speed limit since I am not used to the vibrations of the car from which one can judge the speed. I told this to the officer as well.
    I am open to suggestions and would not like any points to show up on my license and affect my insurance rates. Please advise.

    1. As speeding is strict liability, the arguments you have presented are unfortunately not relevant. The sole issue before the court will be whether you were, in fact, speeding.

  46. I got a speeding ticket for going 78 in a 55 in Madison County. I was told to come back and plead not guilty and it would be reduced. What is your advice?

    1. You may attempt to negotiate for a reduction of this 6 point speeding violation. I would caution you to assure the offer provided sufficiently benefits you. Whether an offer is favorable depends on your home state, drivers license class, prior record, and other factors.

  47. I got a speeding ticket in NY around 15 years ago and never took care of it. I live in Nevada and have never had any points or anything come back to me. I may be moving back to NY will this ticket haunt me

  48. I recently got caught doing 76 in a 5o zone on I-95 in the Bronx. I was pulled over by State Police, not NYPD. I have a CT license and a clean driving record. What is my best option here?

    1. Scott – please provide additional information about the stop in question – specifically – the location of the incident.

  49. I got a ticket for going 47 in a 25 after coming off the highway onto a service road, although I was decelerating. The police officer said if I fight the ticket he would say 45 so that I wasn’t 21mph over. I am from PA and am more concerned about points and my insurance going up than about paying a fine. Penndot website says that the points don’t transfer, but am moving to NY and don’t want to have issues getting insurance once my license changes. Any advice would be appreciated!

    1. BT – where did you receive this ticket? While a reduction in speed is helpful – the primary goal here is to avoid the speeding violation itself.

  50. Got a ticket in NY almost 3yrs ago while passing through NY and lost it. Forgot about it till now and called the clerk for the ticket info, listed as going 85 in a 65 zone on I 90. Should I plead guilty and pay the fine and the $70 fee to reinstate driving privileges in N.Y.? My MA driving record does not show the NY ticket. Please advice as I would like to get this taken care of this soon.

    1. tamudala
      You must pay the $70 to reinstate your license. However, I would suggest that you consider contesting this violation. While they points may not have transferred, your insurance may have been impacted by this violation. If you would like to discuss further, you may reach us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  51. Recently pulled over for doing 79(officer first said 84) in a 65 zone at 5:30am. I had just passed a car driving slow and erratic, so I did speed up a little to get away from , don’t think it was that fast. When officer pulled up behind me I was going speed limit. Gave me a ticket. What are my options? Thx

    1. In order to contest this ticket, you must submit a not-guilty plea to the court. As there are two court systems in New York, both with differing procedural rules, please advise us of the location of this incident. Please note – this is a 4 point ticket with fines ranging from $203 – $393.

  52. Hi,

    I recently received a speeding ticket in Dryden, NY for going 52 in a 30. However, the speed limit just a couple of miles from where the police pulled me over was 55, but it went down to 30 and i didn’t see the change. it was snowing heavily and it was early in the morning (4:13am). I am a GA resident with a GA license. Do you think this is worth fighting/contesting? What would you estimate the fines to be in this case?

    1. Andrea – while we understand the situation, these facts would not assist you in contesting a speeding violation. This 6 point ticket carries fines of $393, along with assessment fees of $300. We would be happy to discuss what strategy would best assist you in contesting your ticket. Additionally, your personal appearance would not be required should you decide to fight this ticket. You may reach us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  53. I got a speeding ticket in Milton, NY for doing 21 over the limit. How much would the ticket cost, with surcharges? I live in NV and I cannot afford a attorney and the ticket. I know the points won’t travel, but, I just wanted to know if it’s worth it to fly back and fight the ticket.

    1. Peter – this violation has a fine of $300, court fees of $93, and a driver responsibility assessment fee of $300. I would remind you that while the points may not transfer, this violation can in fact impact your insurance rates.

  54. Hi, I am a California driver (with clean driving record) ticketed in Brooklyn for making an illegal turn on red and failure to signal lane change.  I am in process of moving to Georgia, so I’m wondering if it make sense to plead guilty after I get my Georgia DL since the points won’t transfer and impact my clean driving record. I’m considering going to trial anyway to fight the “failure to signal” charge, but how likely is it to be found not guilty of that or an illegal turn on red? I didn’t realize you can’t make a right on red in Brooklyn. It’s a great law, though! Thank you.

    1. Not being aware of a law is not a defense to such a violation. While points would not transfer to GA, I generally recommend contesting traffic violations to assure you continue to have a clean driving record.

  55. So my fiance and I drove through NYC and heading home from our vacation and he got a speeding ticket at like 4 am . And well I forgot to take a photo of all the information , but we filled out the ticket and sent it out. So I’m trying to see when they will send out the amount of his speeding ticket and we live in Florida. Sucks to suck for not writing down the information. Who do I contact to obtain the information I need.

  56. I received a ticket back in March 2017 on west belt in brooklyn for a fabricated speed of 76 mph in a 50 mph zone. It took almost 5 months to get the ticket in the system and I didn’t and couldn’t answer it in time cause of the states tardiness in receiving the ticket in Albany Ny .Eventually they sent notice to Pennsylvania to revoke my license on Oct 30, 2017 for not answering a nys ticket so I went to a TVB office and pled not guilty and now have a court date for Oct 30 ,2018. Now pennsylvania says that I must plead guilty and return with a paid receipt to stop my suspension in pa and I am not allowed to plead not guilty. Nys does not give you a receipt for pleading not guilty so now I am in the position that I must plead guilty to stop the suspension in Pennsylvania from taking effect on Oct 30,2017. This is wrong and I am being forced to pay a ticket in nys cause I am unable to plead not guilty. They effectively took the first step in eliminating a not guilty plea. Suggestions ???

    1. Ralph – I suggest you contact us for further advice. We have seen similar cases such as yours – and they are often complex to resolve. You may reach us at 888-434-0406.

  57. Mr. Rosenblum,

    I recently received a speeding ticket at 71/55. This occurred in the town of Richfield on10/06/2017. The ticket return date is 11/0/2017. My residence is St. Augustine, Florida. Can you assist in this matter?

    Richard Scimone
    [email protected]

    1. Richard – we would be happy to assist you contest this 4 point speeding ticket. You may reach us for a free consultation at 888-434-0406.

  58. Looking for some help with a speeding ticket that I received in the state of New York. I just wanted to see what my options are. Thank you

    1. Suzanne – Your options will depend on where you have received this ticket, and how fast you are accused of going. These details are necessary to provide you with any information regarding your traffic ticket.

  59. I recently received a speeding ticket for going 78 in a55 zone state route 190 Altona, town of -1050 Clinton county NY.. l live in Delaware and new to the area. I was not going as fast as the car in front of me. The officer was coming in the opposit direction , past the car in front of me and l turned run . The car in front of me started jolting to a stop and l kind of tried to make way for the officer thinking he was going after the other person. Imagine my surprise when he parked behind me. The offer said he caught me by radar, but l think it was the other car. I have a clean driving record and l don’t know what to do. I don’t think l was going as fast as the officer claim. I was going to help my daughter who just moved to the area unpack her stuff. I was driving with the aid of a gps so couldn’t have been going that fast for the area is strange to me. What should l do?

    1. Heidie – you are facing a 6 point ticket that carries fines of $393, along with an assessment fee of $300. Additionally, this will likely have a substantial impact on your insurance rates. The speed of the other cars in the vicinity is not relevant to your traffic ticket. Whether the officer was able to accurately determine whether you were in fact speeding, is.

  60. I recently received a speeding ticket on I-99NB in Lindley Town, Stuben County NY for driving 88 in a 65 zone.

    We were rushing to get to the next stop about 5 miles away to use the bathroom due to a sick person in the car.
    I am a registered driver in the state of maryland with a squeaky clean record and I have read that the points do not transfer
    over but I need to know the best way to approach the defense so that this violation does not affect my driving record and insurance rates.

    The NY DMV lists the points as 6 and fine up to $300.00
    The County has a fine reduction program application on their website.


    1. Lafay – I suggest you contest this 6 point ticket. This violation carries a fine of $300, court fees of $93, and additional assessment fees of $300. Please note, as speeding is a strict liability offense, any reason as to why you were speeding would not help your case. If you would like to discuss potential stratgies in handling this violation, you may contact us for a free consultation at 888-434-0406.

  61. My son just got a ticket for doing 75 in a 65. He lived in Rhode Island. He was on his way to college in Ohio. I am wondering a few things – does NY have reciprocal agreement with RI? I care mostly about my insurance rates. He is 19 years old and I already pay enough. It will be a huge pain in the neck to get him back to NY to appear in court if he pleads not guilty. But if I hire an attorney to represent him, I am guessing that will also cost a lot?

    1. Holly – the offense will transfer to RI – likely increasing insurance rates. Hiring an attorney will allow your to contest this ticket without personally appearing. If you would like to discuss our pricing structure, you may reach us at 888-434-0406.

    1. Dina – we strongly suggest that your daughter contest this ticket as the points, fines, and particularly insurance implications will be severe.

  62. I recently received a speeding ticket in Covington Township, Wyoming County outside of Buffalo for driving 71 in a 55. I was following behind a car who was also pulled over at the same time and ticketed. The officer passed me and pulled the other car over before jumping out into middle of road and pointing for me to pull over. It seems like it would be difficult to clock us both by radar in the short amount of time before I slowed down. I live in PA and read they will not assess points for out of state tickets. What type is fine am I looking at for pleading guilty?

    1. Jay – You are currently facing a 4 point ticket that carries a fine of $393. While points will not transfer to PA, the violation will transfer – thus impacting your insurance rates. We therefore suggest you contest this ticket to mitigate / avoid these consequences.

  63. I recently passed through Boston NY to Canada to attend a funeral. I was pulled over for going 100/65 which i do not believe because many a lot of cars kept passing me and if i was doing a 100 what were those cars doing and where never pulled over? I am not guilty and even cannot make it to NY from VA. I went to Canada for a day and returned after the funeral. My Question is what is the probability that if i plead not guilty you all can get me out of this mess? I was, like Leesa wanting to just plead guilty and pay but seriously i do not believe i was doing 100. I may be doing 80 as i set my cruise to 75 but not 100. Please advice?

    1. Akwasi – I strongly suggest you contest this violation, as you are facing substantial fines and penalties here. Please advise me of what court will be handling this case, as the procedures differ based on the court.

  64. I received a speeding ticket, 70/55 and pled not guilty. I am considering writing and changing to guilty and paying the fee because I might not be able to drive over 500 miles to the appearance in Sept. What should I do?

    1. Leesa – hiring an attorney will allow you to contest the ticket withouot your physical presence at court,.

  65. Hi,

    I was pulled over in the Schodack region around Thanksgiving time of last year and wrote a thoughtful not guilty plea by mail. I received no notice at all until today, more than 8 months later, when I got a letter in the mail telling me my court date is in two weeks. The charge was 78mph in a 65mph, from a state trooper. I possess a ME license and live roughly 5 hours each way from the court. Can I call them and tell them I can’t make the court date? How do I get the case dropped? Is it worth making the trip out there? Thanks.

    1. You may attempt to obtain an adjournment on your case. In order to conduct a trial, you must physically appear, or hire an attorney to appear on your behalf.

  66. Hi,
    I have a Maryland driver license. Just yesterday, I was driving down NY ST-219 in Carrollton, Cattaraugus County, NY. I was pulled over and the police told me they clocked me at 66mph on a 40 mph zone. The police officer told me to fill out the ticket by either choosing to plead guilty or not guilty. I would like your advice on whether to plead guilty or not guilty? How many points would be on my driving record and how much would it cost? Please reply as soon as you can.
    Thank you.

    1. Chun – this 6 point violation will cost $393 in fines, $300 assessment fees, and a significant impact on your insuranced rates. I recommend contesting this ticket to avoid / mitigate thetse consequences.

    1. Jason – This ticket alone will not cause you to lose your license in PA, but it is definitely worth fighting. This ticket carries 8 points, a $693 court fee, a $450 NY Driver Responsibility Assessment surcharge fee and can cause your insurance premiums to increase by as much as 20-25%.

  67. Hello, I got speeding ticket with section 1180 D, speed of 90 in 55 MPH zone, near Bath city ,Steuben county. I possess MD state license. I was trying to pass the truck beside me. If I plead guilty, will it affect my driving history. I read MD state doesn’t out of state speeding ticket points. And if I want to defend my case, should I return to fight my case?

    Reply. Thanks in advance

    1. Although points may not transfer, the violation itself will – often causing your insurance company to increase rates. I therefore recommend contesting this violation. Furthermore, the total penalties, including assessment fees for this 8 point ticket are $1,143.

  68. I received a speeding ticket on NY 3 near Colton. It is for 76 in a 55. I am an out of state driver and it would be impossible for me to return to fight the case since i live in MD and my date is on a Tuesday. what do you recommend?

    1. Taylor – hiring an attorney would allow you to contest this 6 point ticket without physically appearing in court. You may reach us for a free consultation if you would like to discuss your case in further detail.

  69. I got speeding ticket section 1180B, Speed over 55 Zone where the ticket says I was driving at 78MPH. If I plead NOT guilty Do I need to appear in the court?

    1. Raviteja – where did this violation occur? The procedures will vary based on which court has jurisdiction over your ticket.

  70. Hello, I received a ticket in NY and I live in SC. The ticket is for doing 81 in a 65, but I was doing this due to a tail gating car that had been following dangerously close behind me. Is this a reason to plead not guilty given it is possible to prove it or is this not even a possible defense? I will be back in the area in a few months so I will be able to appear in court to do this, I have already pushed my court date to when I will be back.

    1. Parker, while I do suggest you contest this ticket, speeding is a ‘strict liability’ violation – meaning there is no legal defense that would suffice here.

  71. Hi, I got a speeding ticket of 90 in a 55 a few days ago but pleaded not guilty and would like to fight it and was curious as to how much it would cost to get a lawyer from your firm and if they’d be able to knock down the points. Im from CT and this ticket is from Rye, NY.

    1. Despina – you may contact us at 888-434-0406 to discuss our pricing structure. As you may be aware, you are facing an 8 point ticket that has substantial fines and penalties.

  72. I was informed by my home state (michigan) that I have a ticket on my record from New York and that until this is resolved I cannot renew my license. I have never been to New York…. what is my best course of action?

    1. Joe – I suggest you contact the NY DMV to determine the details of the violation against you. If these violations have been committed by a 3rd party using your information, there are procedures in place to correct this.

  73. HELLO, I have been assessed in NYState for 11 mi. over limit. I paid fine, pleaded guilty (didn’t read your blog!) and now I have an assessment of 300. Is it too late to do anything? I am assuming the points will transfer to PA, although my insurance only went up about 100 for the year, and I thought it was a normal rate increase. Oh boy what to do?

    1. Please provide more details, including the date of violation, the date you plead guilty, and what court has jurisdiction over your case.

  74. Hi,
    I have NJ licence and was returning from Buffalo NY got speeding ticket on I-360 (Town of Owego court) for 81mph on 65mph limit. Speed was detected by RADAR.
    If I Contest do I have to go to court in person? Will that help in points reduction? To spare me trip if I decide to pay ticket how many points I will get on my NJ license?
    pls reply.

    1. Shruti – This is a 4 point ticket that will result in a fine of $393. 2 points transfer over to your NJ license if convicted of this offense. If you contest this case, you will likely need to appear.

  75. Hi,
    I got a speeding ticket in NY, caught at 74 on 55 mph near NY 219 toward buffalo.
    On the way my wife got sick and was restless,so I was just trying to reach safely, and I ws pulled Over.
    Will I be getting points on the IL License.Also recently I moved to a different state, In this case will what will happen if i apply for license in that state.

    1. Ankit – As we are not licensed in IL, we can not provide advice as to their point system. However, generally speaking, violations transfer between the states, thus impacting insurance rates.

  76. Hi,

    If one holds an Ohio license and received a ticket for speaking on a cell phone. Will the points transfer to Ohio?

    Thank you

    1. Aaron – while we can not advise you on the laws of OH, the violation itself will transfer to OH – generally resulting in increases to insurance rates.

    1. Red – this violation will likely result in your son’s license being suspended. I therefore strongly urge you to consider contesting this violation.

  77. Hi, I am a NJ resident and I received a ticket in Ramapo, NY for going 61 in a 45. The speed was confirmed via laser. Do you know what the fines would be and the insurance increase? Is it worth the effort to fight this in court? Thank you

    1. The fines for this 4 point ticket are $393, 2 points would transfer to NJ, and your insurance rates would likely increase by 20-25%.

  78. I have to appear in court on 11/29 for a ticket i got, keeping up with traffic but “i was in the fast lane” even though the other two drivers we ahead of me. What should I say? Just that?

    1. ‘Going with the flow of traffic’ is not a defense to speeding – in fact, you are essentially admitting to the offense of speeding. Speeding is a strict liability offense, which means that there is no defense available. The only way to fight such a violation is to prove that the officer charging you was unable to meet their burden of proof. Finally please keep in mind, the precise procedures differ based on the location of the incident.

  79. I have a Kentucky driver’s license. I got a speeding ticket on I-90 in Pembroke, NY on 11/03/16 (1180D – 16mph over the limit). Does New York offer traffic school to keep the violation off my permanent record?

    1. Violations do not ‘dissapear’ from your permanent record. NY will suspend your license if you accumulate 11 points in any 18 month period.

  80. Hi I Got speeding ticket in New York state and my drivers license is from South Carolina.
    i just came out of rest area and trying to merge with existing traffic and speed limit at that road is 65 and got ticket for 80 mph. i am sure i was not in 80 mph. could you please help me how can i respond to that ticket. i need to respond to that ticket by nov 28th


    1. Sree – we can help you both respond to and contest this ticket. While we can not advise you on the point system of your state, violations generally transfer between the states – thus impacting insurance rates substantially.

  81. I have received a NY speeding ticket last week, the speed is +16 under 1180B section. I have received a ticket last year in October which was +19. How much would this impact my insurance and what should i be doing now?

    1. Vicky – A second increase can cause a major hike in your insurance rates. This ticket carries 4 points and a $393 fine. There is also a Driver Responsibility Assessment fee imposed by the DMV whenever a driver receives 6 points or more within an 18 month period. If you plead guilty, you would have a total of 8 points on your record and a $450 DRA fee. You should fight this ticket to reduce the penalties and minimize your points.

  82. Hi I got a speeding ticket on 684 near Bedford Hills. I was clocked at 76 in a 65. Plus gave me a ticket for the things that go around your plate said they are giving me this instead of a non blinker when I transfered lanes. This was last December the court date is this December 6, 2016. Is there way I can get out of this. I live in Maine. The violation date was 12/26/2016.

    1. Richard – hiring an attorney will allow you to contest your ticket without personally appearing. You may contact us for a free consultation at 888-434-0406.

  83. I received a speeding ticket on June 6,2016 but then since we were just vacationing in the East coast and staying in various hotels, one of our bags got lost and unfortunately it contains the small envelope where we placed the ticket .

    It’s only now that we were able to retrieve it and I now have the copy of the speeding ticket, but is at a lost on what to do since it should have been returned by July ,2016.

    Could you please advise me on what the best course of action should I take …..and if I ended up on a guilty plea the point system in California would be different from New York State ….will I be entitled to go to traffic school to get the point out ?

    1. Erwin – You can still fight this ticket to reduce the penalties associated with the ticket. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your case.

  84. I have a PA license, got pulled over in NY on I-81 for going 76mph in a 55 zone. Clocked using radar. Never saw a sign that I guess it dropped to 55mph, assumed it was 65. The violation says NYS V and T Law, section 1180B. I honestly don’t care the cost of the ticket, I can pay that no problem. My only concern would be if I would receive any points to my PA license??

    1. Dana – while we are not license to practice in PA, and thus can not advise you on their point system, violations transfer between the states, and generally will impact insurance rates substantially.

  85. I got an “In Zone” speeding ticket on I-90, Princetown NY for driving at 80 miles with speed limit of 65 miles with MA license.
    I want to understand the total fee that I need to pay if I plea guilt and can that be waived off if I plea not guilty this is my first offence.

    1. Arvind- You are facing a 4 point ticket, which carries a fine of $300 plus a $93 administrative fee. By pleading not guilty, you will have the option to get the points and fine reduced.

  86. Hi
    I got speeding ticket last week while driving on I87 at 78 in zone. I was just over taking a truck. I have NJ license. This is my first ticket ever. What would be you recommend? Should i contest the ticket?

    1. I suggest you contest this ticket as it carries substantial fines, points, and insurance implications. You may contact us at 888-434-0406 for a free consultation.

  87. Hi Adam,
    I’m a California licensed driver and just received two traffic tickets in nyc. I was assessed two tickets at the same time for running a red light and failure to yield to a pedestrian. I was turning right on a red light after fully stopping (which is legal in CA, and I didn’t know is illegal in NY). There were also two pedestrians standing in the middle of the crosswalk (not walking—just standing there). Essentially, I just drove past them.
    What are your thoughts? If I plead guilty and just pay the tickets, I won’t have to show up in court in NY right? I’m already back in CA.

    1. If you plead guilty, you will not need to physically appear. However, these violations will transfer to CA, and will likely impact your insurance rates. We can help you fight this ticket if you are interested. Additionally, hiring an experienced law firm will allow you to contest your ticket without a personal appearance on your behalf.

  88. Do you guys serve clients from Massachusetts but got a speeding ticket in Upstate New York? I got a speeding ticket at Alexandria, Jefferson County, NY on 9/3. I was driving 80 (the officer said 81 and 84 when he came up behind me) on Highway 81 (65 mile zone). I saw a car (not realizing thats the police car) behind me and actually speeded up to get past the 4 cars on the right lane so I can switch to the right lane and let the car pass me. What are the penalties for this and what are the benefits if I hire you guys to appear for me in court? My work hours are 9-5 so it is best to reach me by email or I will make a call after 5.

    1. Kyle – You are facing a 4 point that carries $393 in penalties and significant insurance implications. You may reach us for a free consultation at 888-434-0406.

  89. I got a speeding ticket 2 days ago in NY state on the way to go to Niagara Falls from NJ for my vacation. I was speeding 85mph on 65 mph highway. I don’t want to get point. What should I do? I have NJ drivers license. If I plead not guilty, do I have to mail in 48 hours? How much is the approximate attorney fee and penalty? Please advice. Thanks, Mika

    1. Mika – This 4 point ticket has a fine of $393. 2 points transfer to NJ, and your insurance rates will be impacted substantially. You must respond by the date on the ticket that states “reply or appear in person on or before.” You may contact me at 888-434-0406 with further questions.

  90. i got speeding ticket in ny driving 86 on 65 zone. i told office that i had a minor medial emergency cause my father in law have a blood pressure problem and the medication he takes cause him to go to the bathroom very often so i was looking for a restroom and police said you just passed that in 10 mile i did not realized i went over speed and i dont think so i was driving 86 may like 75 to 80 speed…. state trooper mention the whole story in my ticket and told me to mail in back either peal guilty or not guilty i dont know what should i do????

    1. Bhumi – unfortunately these types of emergencies will not warrant the dismissal of a speeding ticket. Speeding is a strict liability offense, which by definition, have no defenses. In order to provide any further advice, I need to know the specific court handling your case.

  91. currently received a traffic ticket in west chester county NY IT WENT FROM A 65 TO 55 and i was clocked at 75 as per the officer and a ticket for being on my cell phone which my GPS was on. Should i consider fighting this ticket because it says he paced me and not used a radar gun

    1. Tasha – I strongly suggest you contest this ticket as it carries substantial fines & penalties. There is no requirement that an officer use a radar gun in order to establish that you were in fact speeding. You may contact me at 888-434-0406 to discuss potential strategies we may utilize to contest these tickets which total 9 points.

  92. Hi I got a tkt on I-90 (EB) NY highway driving @ 90MPH on 65MPH zone. I explained the officer there was a car flashing light behind me as s/he wanted to move ahead and I had no way to slow down to go in right lane as cars were there so I had to speed to get on right said. HE gave 1180D ticket to me and I wanted to know how much fine it would be My License is from NJ so I understand this translates into 2 points but is there anyway to Avoid the FINE $$. The ticket is for JUNIUS TOWN of -5052 (SENECA county). Can you please help me if I can avoid this fine? and how much that wld be.

    1. Ketan, in order to avoid the fine, you must contest your ticket at a trial and obtain a dismissal. Often a better approach is to obtain a reduction of the violation itself. While you will have to pay a penalty, you will be able to assure yourself a reduction in the speed, fines, and points.