Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets

This article is intended for individuals who live in another state besides New York and have received a speeding or traffic ticket in New York State.

New York license holders who receive an out-of-state traffic ticket click here.

Out-of-State Drivers Who Receive New York Speeding Tickets 

Getting a New York speeding ticket can be quite a hassle, especially when you are an out-of-state driver. Unfortunately, most out-of-state drivers never contest their NY speeding tickets. They think that it is too much of a hassle to drive back and argue. They usually justify their inaction by thinking that points will not transfer back to their home state. However, in many cases this is simply untrue. 

Points Do Transfer 

Despite what most people think, many states will assess points against your driving record for an out-of-state traffic violation. 

For example, drivers from Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia (just to name a few) will receive the full amount of points for out-of-state traffic violations as if they were committed right at home. 

Similarly, New Jersey drivers will receive 2 points for every out-of-state traffic violation they receive (that is 2 per ticket). Likewise, California drivers will have 1 point assessed for minor violations and 2 points for major violations. 

Additionally, many states will suspend your license if you are convicted of an out-of-state traffic offense that would have resulted in a suspension were it committed at home. 

Why it Pays to Fight an Out-of-State Speeding Ticket

In most cases, if you hire an attorney to fight your out-of-state speeding ticket, you will not need to appear in court. In other words, if you receive a New York speeding ticket and are licensed to drive in another state, you will not have to drive back to New York if you hire an attorney to fight your ticket. Additionally, simply pleading guilty could be extremely dangerous. Most out-of-state drivers think they are only paying a fine, but they fail to realize that their insurance rates could go up dramatically. 

Most states have entered into the Driver’s License Compact, so driving data is freely transferred from state to state. This means the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) will likely know about your out-of-state speeding ticket and your car insurance carrier will have access to this information too. 

Furthermore, accruing 11 points or more in the State of New York—even as an out-of-state driver—will cause you to lose your ability to drive in New York (i.e. your right to drive in New York will be suspended). Remember, this accumulation of 11 points is based on the New York violations you commit under New York’s point system (not your state’s point system). 

Imagine: While on a family vacation a police officer catches you flying down the Thruway at 41 miles over the posted speed limit (an 11 point offense). Getting convicted of this one offense will prevent you from driving in New York for quite a while. 

Moreover, if you are convicted or plead guilty to a driving offense that would be 6 points in New York (e.g. driving 21-30 mph over the limit), you will be forced to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) to the State of New York. The DRA is $100 per year for 3 years and an additional $25 per year will be charged for each additional point over 6 you receive. This means 1 extra point will cost you $75 more (since the assessment lasts for 3 years). 

At the end of the day, it pays to fight an out-of-state speeding ticket. After all, these hidden costs—which you may not even find out about until it is too late—far exceed the cost of hiring an experienced NY traffic ticket attorney to handle your case. 

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a New York speeding ticket and you are an out-of-state driver, contact Adam H. Rosenblum of The Rosenblum Law Firm. Mr. Rosenblum has years of experience fighting traffic tickets, negotiating with prosecutors, and getting the results you are looking for. Call him today at 888-815-3649.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer to make sure you are human *
Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

247 thoughts on “Out-Of-State Speeding Tickets

  1. TJR

    My son was driving on I90 in Canojahrie county and was pulled over for speeding. Ticketed for 86mph in 65. It is 3 1/2 hours to drive there to fight the ticket which I have encouraged him to do knowing that Massachusetts will hold this against his record. He has a clean driving record. Do they ever allow pleas over the phone. A police officer friend in different county told us to try but my son had no luck.

  2. Amanda

    I got a speeding ticket in Cheektowaga on Sun, 78 in a 55, first offense, out of state.
    Are you able to reduce the fine or dismiss and what would your services cost?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Amanda – you are looking at a 6 point ticket that has substantial fines and penalties. We will be able to assist you in reducing this violation. The type of reduction will depend on numerous factors, including your prior driving history.

  3. Jordan M.


    I have an OHio Licence and I got a 75 in a 55 on in williamville NY. The trooper said something about calling the court and asking about a plea option. Any suggestions?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Hi Jordan, you are looking at a 4 point ticket. This holds a maximum court fine of $393. This will cause your insurance rates to rise. We suggest pleading not guilty. If you would like more information about having the ticket reduced to minimum penalties, you can contact us for a free consultation. We can be reached at 888-883-5529.

  4. Chad casey

    I am going to fight a speeding ticket I got in Staten Island was going east on sie coming up to bridge seen sign saying 50 but the officer was at the split by the bridge under a sign that said 40 got me for 71 in 40 what’s my chances?i have a pa Cdl

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Hello Chad, the office clocked you for doing 31 over the limit. This is an 8 point ticket which transfers over to your license. This means your license will be suspended. You would also face a maximum court fine of $693 and a driver’s assessment fine of $450. We suggest pleading not guilty. Please contact our office for a free consultation to find out more about your options. We can be reached at 888-883-5529.

  5. Jamie larson

    I just received a speeding ticket in Manhattan for going 54 in a 30, on the FDR. Last year, I received a ticket in Brooklyn for accidentally being in carpool lane, which I paid. I have an Illinois license and can’t find any significant info about how this new ticket will affect things. I don’t even know if the carpool ticket caused points in NY or IL or both. Will I have points in Illinois? Will I owe in NY beyond the ticket price? As for insurance, I was borrowing the same car both times so I’m not the insured party. Will it affect their rates? Or simply affect my insurance rates in the future

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Hi Jaimie, this ticket is a 2 point ticket with a maximum court fine of $243. This will not affect the insurance of the person you borrowed the car from. The points on your license will affect your future insurance rates.

  6. Biras

    I am from PA and I got speeding ticket in NY, my ticket says I was driving 80 mph at 55 mph speed limit. 80mph was based on officer visual observation. Should I fight this ticket or just plead guilty.

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Biras – you are facing a 6 point ticket with a maximum fine of $393, along with assessment charges of $300. Additionally, this will likely impact your insurance rates.

  7. Chelsea

    Hello i received a ticket yesterday on Route 328 for driving 70 mph in a 55 mph. I am a PA resident and this was in the new York state boundaries. Are there going to be any points involved in this and is there anyway that i could somehow get the penalties lowered or dismissed?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Chelsea – while no points will transfer to PA, your insurance rates will likely be impacted. To provide further detail, I need to confirm which court is handling your case. You may contact us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  8. Dean Park

    I got a speeding ticket driving through Saratoga in Moreau. I got written up for driving 80 in a 65mph zone. My friend who helps contest traffic tickets in California told me that the points shouldn’t transfer over because there is a different point system being used in the state of New York and that the ticket fine should be in the range of under $200 from the last time he had checked. He is however travelling at the moment and hasn’t had the time to dig into this more thoroughly. I’ve seen on here that the points seem to transfer and that the fine is likely to be $393. Is there a reference site I can see to verify this information?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Dean – we are not allowed to advise you on CA law. Even if points do not transfer, however, the violation will – thus impacting your insurance rates. The maximum penalty allowed for this violation is $393.

  9. Pre

    I received a speeding ticket of 57 in a 45 the other day. I’m set up for a court date in the town of ellery. Can you tell me what I’m looking at for fines, court cost, etc? I do not have any other speeding violations on my record.

  10. Brad RI

    I was driving in Mount Morris, Livingston County, NY and had a 30mph speed. I got a ticket stating that I was going 51mph. I have a VA driving license. I sent back the ticket and I plead guilty.
    How many days to get back the decision ?
    How much it is going to cost me ? Points ?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      The maximum fine is $393, along with an assessment charge of $300 over 3 years. Each court is different with respect to the time it takes them to make a decision.

  11. Madeline

    Yesterday my boyfriend and I were travelling to Amherst to visit his parents. I got a speeding ticket for going 16 over and got my pulled over by an Amherst cop as I was pulling off the I 90 to our exit, we literally had less than 5 minutes before getting to their house. I have a PA license and don’t have any tickets on my record. His parents told me to pled not guilty and I would have to show up in court. Immediately I was thinking how inconvenient that is, but I will just have to deal with it (just a side note, I think the NY laws for this are very harsh but that is beside the point). Is it worth for me to go through the hassle to fight it? Would I be able to change my court date if it’s a date I cant make it? I work two jobs back home and I would have to take time off from making money to pay for the ticket, to go.

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Madeline – while points do not transfer to PA, the violation will – which will likely result in an insurance increase. It is therefore suggested that you fight this ticket.

  12. Margaret

    I’m a NJ driver who was on Rte 9 going 61 because i thought it was 55, but it ended up being a 45 zone. Should I fight it? How much of a fine am I looking at?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Margaret – you are looking at a 4 point ticket with a fine of $393. 2 points will transfer to your NJ license. I suggest you fight this ticket to avoid these consequences.

  13. ezra

    I’ve submitted my speeding ticket (49 @ 30) with a guilty plea a week ago, not realizing that NY has different process. The police officer told me to submit it as “guilty” to show up at court. Now I realize that it should have been “not guilty”. Can I still change my plea?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Hello Ezra, please contact our office to find out how to have your plea changed and bring your tickets to minimum charges. We can be reached for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  14. Andrew C

    I’m a CT driver who received two tickets at once in Thompson NY. One was for going 78 in a 55 and the other was for shifting lanes without a signal.
    The officer who pulled me over was driving far behind me with all his lights off (this was at night). I didn’t even see him until he turned his lights on. Besides him I was the only person on the road at the time. Should I fight this? I fear I’ll lose my license since I paid for a 4 point ticket 6 months ago.
    I also read online that there is a course you could take to help with this. Is that an option?

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Hi Andrew, you were clocked for doing 23mph over the limit. This is a 6 point ticket with a maximum court fine of $393 and a driver’s assessment fine of $300. The move over lane is a maximum fine of $150 and 2 additional points. This will cause your license to be suspended if you already have 4 points. We suggest pleading not guilty. Please contact our office to find out how to have your penalties reduced. We can be reached for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  15. keema Brooks

    My NY license is suspended for a speeding ticket in Niagara Falls 2005. I now live in Charlotte, NC. I contacted the court and they said to simply write a letter pleading guilty. The ticket was for driving 31 miles over speed limit. They said they’d send the fine amount in the mail. Would I be better off hiring an attorney to fight this, it’s been 11 years.

  16. Kallinga

    Hi Adam,

    I am driving back to Maryland and I was on Route 88, I wan just trying to over take a vehicle and I got speeding ticket for driving 86 mph on a 65 mph way. 21 miles more. I got this ticket yesterday and they asked me to plead guilty or not guilty by mail. What could be the points and fine and how far you think you can be of help?

  17. Cindy

    Was traveling on 90W and got pulled over for going 79 in a 65 in Fredonia NY. I live in Ohio and have a spotless driving record. Was trying to pass a semi when I got clocked. What am I looking at in terms of a fine and my Ohio license? Is it worth fighting. Don’t know if it makes a difference, but I was keeping up with traffic.

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Cindy – you are facing a 4 point ticket that carries a fine of $393. While we can not advise you on OH law, the violation will transfer, thus impacting your insurance. Going with the flow of traffic, while a common argument we hear, will not assist you in your speeding ticket.

  18. Peter

    Mr. Rosenblum,
    I’m a Virginia license holder and received a speeding ticket for going 85 mph on 55 mph zone on the Taconic parkway. I was flowing with other traffic until I hit a speed trap just over the crest on a down hil curve.

    I found my misplaced ticked and missed a deadline to answer the court on 9/15/15.
    I don’t know what to do now. What are my options?
    Thank you,

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Because of the significant consequences associate with this ticket – 6 points, $393 in fines, $300 assessment charge, increased insurance rates – I strongly suggest you consider fighting this ticket.

  19. Bobby


    About two weeks ago, I was driving to LI for my business. As I was coming off of the Throgs Neck Bridge, I was going with the flow of traffic and did not see any posted speed limit signs so I assumed (wrongly) that it was a 65 MPH zone. I was more concerned with the numerous pot holes on the highway and avoiding them. Low and behold, I see a NYC police highway patrol coming at me and was pulled over for doing 72 in a 50 MPH zone. Being a son of a NJ police officer with the PBA Shield and gold PBA card, I don’t speed often and was surprised that this officer issues me a summons. Being out of state, what am I looking at? I don’t currently have car insurance as I’m under my girlfriend’s policy (the car is in her name). Normally with parking and other tickets in NJ, I’d plead Not Guilty and talk to the prosecutor to erase or lower the fine.

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      You are being charged with going 22 miles over the speed limit. This is a 6 point ticket, carrying a$300 fine plus an $85 mandatory surcharge and an increase in insurance rates. At 6 points the DMV charges you an additional fine called the DMV Driver Responsibility Assessment at $100 a year for 3 years. Points will transfer to your license in NJ. Give us a call for a free consult.

  20. Juan

    Hi i got a speeding ticket the 7/26/15 by queens midtown tunnel going 67mph in a 30mph in one of the ramps , i have a NJ driver license ,my firts time driving there ,i was lost coming from the JFK airport,first time with a speeding ticket .we called a few people and they told me to plead guilty and paid the fines because i will recive only 2 points on my record and , i did call dmv and i plead guilty to the ticket and now i have to appear in court , what can i do ,thank you for you advise

  21. Fnu Kotlanka Rama Krishna

    I got speeding ticket in NY (Florida town court) and I hold MA driving license. I was charged for speeding 90mph in 65mph. While I believe I am on 70mph, I accepted the fact that I speeded 5miles higher and paid the fine of about $270 in florida town court. Now I received additional $300 and a 6 point letter.

    – I particularly, don’t think 6 points on my driving…kindly advise

  22. Sam

    On 08/28/2015, I was driving on the Taconic State Parkway. I got a ticket for going 74 in a 45 zone (posted work zone, one lane close). I did not notice my speed after driving up a slope followed by a going down slope. There was no one working at the work zone at that time. I am holding a MA licence with clean driving record. Thank you for your advise.

    1. Adam Rosenblum Post author

      Sam – You are facing a 6 point ticket, with fines of $693 (doubled due to a work zone violation). Additionally, you will be required to pay a driver responsibility assessment fee of $300 over the course of 3 years. Furthermore, this ticket will have a substantial impact on your insurance rates. The fact that no workers were present at the time of your infraction does not have any relevance to your case.

  23. Jon

    I got a speeding ticket in NJ while on vacation in 2002. I have lost the ticket. I am licensed in FL and I just renewed my FL license last year.
    If 44 states share info about violations, why was I able to renew my FL DL?
    Was the ticket tossed out by the trooper? What could have happened?